Online Policy Manual
APPENDICES - FISCAL MANAGEMENT
Membership Payment Worksheet
Instructions for Completing the Membership Payment Worksheet
- If the
name of the organization clearly establishes that it is professional or
academic in nature and relates to public employment or education, this
Worksheet does not need to be completed and submitted for approval.
Examples of memberships that, by virtue of the names of the organizations, don't require completion of the Worksheet are the American Association of University Women, the Cooperative Education Association, and the National Council for Student Development.
- For all
other memberships, the Worksheet must be thoroughly completed and the
required approvals obtained before the expense is incurred.
An example of a membership that may be appropriate but for which the Worksheet needs to be completed is the Chamber of Commerce.
memberships are appropriate only:
- if the organization does not allow an institutional membership,
the organization requires that MCCCD hold an institutional membership,
MCCCD employees hold individual memberships; or
- where the appropriate fiscal officer determines that an individual membership is the most cost effective.
For an individual membership, the employee must be full-time.
- The descriptions provided in Items 3 and 4 must be specific. Vague or overly subjective descriptions won't satisfy the documentation requirement.
Examples of descriptions that are insufficient are:
- Membership will provide the college with visibility in the community.
- Membership will be prestigious.
Examples of descriptions that may be sufficient are:
- The organization consists of a significant number of employers within the county - a key constituency in developing an appropriate workforce. Some employer-members are significantly involved in the college's workforce development program, such as ____.
- This organization is the leading association for registered nurses and plays a significant role in the certification requirements in various states. MCCCD gains significant insights about curriculum needs for the nursing program from participating in this organization.
- Likewise, the description on the Worksheet in Item 5 must be precise. It must identify specific activities or objectives of MCCCD that are satisfied. The benefit that MCCCD receives also needs to equate to or exceed the expense incurred. So, while the benefit doesn't have to be described in dollars, it must be identified specifically in terms that "paint" a clear picture that the values exchanged are about the same. Higher-dollar expenses require more specificity.
An example of a description that fails meet those requirements is:
- The membership provides me with collegial opportunities.
An example of a description that is sufficient is:
- Membership allows my students access to special collections not viewable by the public. During the preceding year, I escorted 24 students on three separate field studies that included access to the special collections, for a value in excess of the $300 membership.