Online Policy Manual
APPENDICES - STUDENTS
Procedures for Lost or Stolen Student Records
In accordance with the administrative regulation for Lost or Stolen Student Records, reporting procedures have been outlined for either lost or stolen paper records that contain personally identifiable student information (as outlined in the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974). Additional procedures related to the care and management of data may also apply. In the event of a loss or theft of records, any employee or agent acting on behalf of the Maricopa County Community College District, or any office or department that is reporting the loss shall:
- Within two days of either a loss or theft, notify the college Office of Admissions and Records, District Legal Services, college Vice President of Student Affairs, and the department/and or division chair or supervisor.
- File a police report with the appropriate jurisdiction and an incident report with College Safety, if an actual theft has occurred
- Within five days, notify all affected students by letter. Include the following in the notification summary of what occurred:
- police report number (if theft occurred)
- advice to monitor any suspicious activity involving possible misuse of information to establish unauthorized credit
- the U.S. government's central website maintained by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for information about identity theft—http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/
- Social Security Administration fraud telephone number, if applicable (800/269-0271)
- Credit bureau numbers, if applicable (Equifax 800/525-6285; Experian 888/397-3742; Trans Union 800/680-7289)
- Within ten days, obtain and submit the Lost or Stolen Student Records form to the Office of Admissions and Records and District Legal Services including the following:
- a copy of the correspondence that was sent to the student(s)
- list of all affected students
- plan indicating proactive steps to be implemented to prevent future loss or theft of record
The Office of Admissions and Records shall:
- Confirm by receipt of the Lost or Stolen Student Records form and supporting documents that the student(s) and District Legal Services have been notified. File documentation in FERPA file.
- Provide assistance to individual students involved upon request.
- Consult with department on prevention strategies as needed.
Lost or Stolen Student Records Form (Word Doc)
Print Form (Adobe Acrobat—Requires Acrobat Reader)