Online Policy Manual
3.6 Distribution of Course Syllabus
The MCCCD strives to create a productive learning environment for all students. Students will be advised of course content and instructor expectations through a course syllabus. The course syllabus serves as an agreement between the instructor and student.
The instructor must present a course syllabus to students during the first week of a class (before the end of drop/add). A copy of the course syllabus must be submitted to the division/department office at the college no later than the end of the first week of class.
The following items must be included in the course syllabus:
- College name, Campus or Site
- Instructor’s name and contact information for student support
- Course information
- Title, prefix, course number and section number(s)
- Academic term and year, e.g., Fall 2007
- Course description and/or overview
- Course objectives
- Grading standards and practices
- Attendance requirements
- List of required and recommended texts and materials
- Statement of student responsibility for the information in the syllabus.
- Statement of student responsibility for the college policies included in the college catalog and the student handbook
- Information about the availability of services for students that require special accommodations.
- Statement indicating that information included in the syllabus may be subject to change such as: “Students will be notified by the instructor of any changes in course requirements or policies.”
An instructor may choose to include additional information, such as expectations for academic work, required format, due dates, penalties for late/missed work, extra credit, etc., as necessary.
ADOPTED through the Administrative Regulation approval process, December 8, 2006
Print Section (Adobe Acrobat—Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)