Tuition Waivers and Exemptions
Handbook, Forms and Other Resources
Revised March 2014
Forms may not be altered so as to remove the terms and conditions of the waiver
2014 Tuition Waiver Handbook (PDF)
Adjunct Faculty Tuition Waiver (PDF)
Dependent Tuition Waiver (PDF)
Employee Tuition Waiver (PDF)
Late Start Assignment
Adjunct Faculty Tuition Waiver (PDF)
Part-Time Employee Tuition Waiver (PDF)
Qualified Non-Employee Tuition Waiver (PDF)
Qualified Foster Care Supplemental Tuition Waiver (PDF)
Eligibility and Limitations of the Adjunct Faculty Tuition Waiver (PDF)
Exemption of Non-Resident Tuition for Approved Courses for Full-Time Teacher or Full-Time Classroom Aide per ARS §15-1802 (PDF)
PDFs require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view
Important Change to Tuition Waivers
Beginning, January 1, 2014 through December 31, 2019, students that meet conditions in the Pilot Program SB1208 Arizona Revised Statutes 15-1809 , may be eligible to participate in the Foster Care Supplemental Tuition Waiver program, for up to sixteen (16) credit hours per semester (64 total credit hours for the duration of the pilot program).
Beginning July 1, 2013, dependents and spouses of Full-Time Board- approved regular employees and dependents and spouses of Full-time Board-approved specially funded employees can take up to a maximum of sixteen (16) credit hours per semester.
Beginning July 1, 2011, MCCCD tuition waivers will only cover the in-county cost (for FY11-12 that will be $81 per credit hour). It is important for employees, spouses and dependents to establish residency with the appropriate college Admissions and Records/Enrollment Services Office.
As part of ongoing efforts to update policies, regulations and procedures that guide the operations of the Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD), this website is designed to address issues related to the treatment of tuition waivers, affidavits and exemptions (for those students who have been deemed eligible for the payment of in-county tuition). Eligibility for tuition waivers, affidavits or exemptions is established via state statute and Governing Board policy.
- Employees must be Board approved prior to the start date of the class for an employee or dependent waiver to be considered valid.
- Tuition and fee waivers are limited to the per-credit-hour cost of classes only. Other fees, such as lab or towel fees and out-of-county or out-of-state fees, are not waived and must be paid by the employee.
- Adjunct faculty are eligible for a maximum of six (6) credit hours when assigned to teach credit courses, to be taken during the semester in which they teach. Use of a waiver may be deferred to a term that follows the assignment, but use must take place within the same fiscal year of the assignment. Assignments to teach non-credit courses are not eligible for the waiver benefit.
- Part-time Board-approved specially funded or part-time Board-approved regular employees are eligible for a maximum of six (6) credit hours per semester
- Full-Time Board-approved regular and full-time Board-approved specially funded employees are eligible for a maximum of twelve (12) credit hours per semester.
- Dependents/Spouses of Full-Time Board-approved regular and Dependents/Spouses of full-time Board-approved specially funded employees are eligible for a maximum of sixteen (16) credit hours per semester.
- If a class conflicts with an employee’s normal working hours of accountability, supervisory approval is required.
- An official request form must be presented in order to initiate the waiver process (see box to right).
Tuition Waiver Handbook—Crosswalk of revisions made to the tuition waiver handbook and forms
Late Start Assignment Adjunct Faculty Tuition Waiver—Verified late start assignments for adjunct faculty wishing to use a tuition waiver form prior to the start of the assignment for the current semester.
Non-Employee Tuition Waiver—Verification process for determining eligibility for the Qualified Non-Employee Tuition Waiver and the Non-Employee Tuition Waiver Qualified Participant List (PDF; password protected for authorized use only)
MCCCD Tuition Waiver Rules
Amended October 14, 2013 (Modified excerpt from the Tuition Waiver Handbook, pg. 8)
Type of Participant
|Full-time regular employees [and dependents**]||1.00||Yes, up to 12 credit hours per semester [dependents/spouses may take up to 16 credit hours per semester]|
|On leave if otherwise eligible||1.00||With Employee Services Authorization|
|Athletic Specialists [and dependents**]||1.00||Yes, up to 12 credit hours per semester|
|Full-time, Board-approved specially funded employees* [and dependents**]||1.00||Yes, up to 12 credit hours per semester [dependents/spouses may take up to 16 credit hours per semester]|
|Full-time, Skill Center employees [and dependents**]||Yes, up to 12 credit hours per semester|
|Part-time, Skill Center employees||No|
|Part-time, Board-approved specially funded employees*||0.50 to 0.99||Yes, up to 6 credit hours per semester|
|Part-time, Board-approved regular employees*||0.50 to 0.99||Yes, up to 6 credit hours per semester|
|On leave if otherwise eligible*||0.50 to 0.99||With Employee Services Authorization|
|Full-time, Board-approved short-term (OYO and OSO) employees*||1.00||Yes, up to 12 credit hours per semester|
|Adjunct faculty during the fiscal year of contract (does not include contracts to teach non-credit courses)||N/A||Yes, up to 6 credit hours per semester|
|Adjunct Contractors (i.e., Librarians; Counselors; Hourly Adjunct; Team-Taught; Non Residential Fitness; Clinical Nursing––all adjunct contractor assignments must be tied to a credit course)||N/A||Yes, up to 6 credit hours per semester|
|Classes of Non-Employees Eligible for Tuition Waiver With Authorization by Appropriate Designee|
|Dependents of Slain Arizona Peace Officers, Firefighters, Emergency Paramedics|
|Dependents of Arizona National Guard Members–or members of the United States Armed Forces who were residents of the State of Arizona or stationed in Arizona–killed in the line of duty; Disabled Arizona National Guard members; Arizona National Guard member Purple Heart recipients; or Armed Forces or former Armed Forces members who received a Purple Heart citation with a disability status greater than 50% who, at the time of injury, resided or were stationed in Arizona.|
|Arizona Sonora Exchange Program|
|Foster Care Supplemental Waiver***|
|* The following categories of employees are not eligible for tuition waivers: dependents of employees who are less than .99 FTE; temporary (including those on RPS); part-time one-year-only (OYO) or part-time one-semester-only (OSO) who are less than .50 FTE.
** Dependents are defined as a spouse or unmarried child less than 24 years old. In order to receive a tuition waiver, the qualified employee must be Board-approved by the first class meeting. Dependent children must be less than 24 years old at the time of the first class meeting.
***With Authorization by Office of Public Stewardship