As part of our global engagement mission, the Maricopa Community Colleges recognize the importance of preparing our students for successful careers and civil lives in the global community. Through our study abroad programs, the Maricopa Community Colleges provides students with teaching and learning activities that strengthen global awareness, develop intercultural competencies, and enhance academic learning.
Programs, services, and intercultural education include (but are not limited to) areas such as foreign language study, international studies, global education, ethnic studies, bilingual programs, and comparative education.
Benefits of Study Abroad
Study abroad programs are an integral part of educating globally competent individuals who value and respect cultural differences. Students who participate in MCCCD’s short term study abroad programs (1 to 4 weeks) consistently count their international experience as one of the most rewarding aspects of their college careers. Study abroad programs provide students with the opportunity to:
- Improve foreign language skills
- Strengthen global awareness
- Develop intercultural competencies that enhance employment opportunities
- Increase abilities in learning, problem solving and coping with change
- Strengthen understanding of the political, cultural, and economic context of other cultures
- Gain international work/service experience
- Enhance academic learning
- Increase self-confidence and self-awareness
“We need to look no further than our morning paper to see that our future, and the future of our youth, is inextricably linked to the complex challenges of the global community. And for our (young people) to be prepared to take their place in that world and rise to those challenges, they must first understand it.”
~ Roderick Paige, Former U.S. Secretary of Education