Maricopa Community Colleges supports the concept of lifelong learning to meet the individual growth needs of the diverse group of students it serves.
We also recognize that learning takes place in a variety of situations and circumstances and that many students have significant, demonstrable learning from experiences outside the traditional academic environment. In alignment with this philosophy, eligible students may have opportunities to receive credit for non-college, prior-learning.
The credit by examination program offers students with prior experience or education the opportunity to complete tests and apply for credit for the Maricopa Community Colleges Healthcare Core Courses (HCC courses). Credits for the HCC courses may be obtained by taking and passing the Healthcare Core Competency Assessment Tests or CATS.
Healthcare Core Competency Assessment Tests (CATS)
- HCC 130 (requires successful completion of all modules HCC130AA-AF. Each module is taken as a separate test)
- HCC146 (requires successful completion of modules HCC145AA and HCC145AB).
- HCC145 (requires successful completion of al modules HCC145AA-AC).
After successfully completing a test(s), the student is eligible to apply for credit for the appropriate corresponding Maricopa Community Colleges Healthcare Core Courses.
Note: This is a one-time option. You may take the exam only once.
The CATS are available at the following colleges:
- GateWay Community College (Admissions, Advisement, Testing Center, Campus Map)
- Phoenix College (Admissions, Advisement, Testing Center, Campus Map)
- Rio Salado College (Admissions, Advisement, Testing Center, Campus Map)
Health Care Core Competency Assessment Test Instructions
- Review the specific course descriptions for HCC courses, including the course competencies, to select the test(s) you wish to take. You may also review this information at the libraries of the community colleges listed on the Credit by Examination web page. The information is on reserve.
- Complete a Student Information Form at the Admissions and Records Office and indicate the HCC test(s) you wish to take. They will verify your eligibility to take the test(s).
- Take the student information form to the Cashiers Office of the college where you are going to take the test. Pay the fee for each test you will be taking.
- Call or visit the Testing Center at the college where you will be testing to verify available testing dates and times. You may only take the HCC test(s) at the official testing sites at the Maricopa Community Colleges listed on the Credit by Examination web page.
- Take the documentation you have received from the Admissions and Cashier's offices to the Testing Center of the College where you will be testing. Give the documentation to the Testing Center staff, along with a picture ID.
- Complete your HCC test(s). You may take a HCC test only one time. You may not take the same HCC test at another official testing site. You may take more than one HCC test on the same day, but may only take one test at a time.
- If you achieve a score of 75% or better on your HCC test, you will receive credit for that course. If you achieve below 75%, you will be required to take the course. Credit will be granted by the college where you tested.
The Allied Health Credit for Prior Learning Handbook For Students outlines some of the options for Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) that may be available through individual programs. A more detailed faculty version of the handbook is also available.
Note that not all programs may offer these options. Make sure to check with your academic advisor or program director for more information.