What is Concurrent Enrollment?
The Concurrent Enrollment Program (CEP) allows students to pursue an AAS degree in nursing through the MaricopaNursing program while providing an affordable, concurrent, or simultaneous course of study that enables students to complete their BSN degree. Depending on the university partner the student selects, the student may graduate with both the AAS and BSN degrees at the same time; others may complete the BSN degree coursework within one or two semesters following completion of the AAS degree. All students are welcome to explore these options. There are possible CEP entry points at Block One for new students and at mid-point or Block Three of the program.
Each semester, the eight MaricopaNursing locations identify their capacity for Block 1 enrollment. Total enrollment includes CEP and traditional (non-CEP) placements. The CEP is a popular program for MaricopaNursing; however, as stated in the information sessions, this program is not for everyone! Traditional students who do not wish to participate in the CEP have the option of applying to any of the MaricopaNursing programs.
Percentages of CEP admissions range from 40% - 85% at the eight MaricopaNursing colleges. Check with the nursing advisor at your college of first choice to see the percentage of CEP students supported at the college(s) you wish to attend.
Admission requirements, prerequisites, costs, and program options vary considerably and students are encouraged to review all available information to determine the best fit for their needs. All students are required to either attend an in-person CEP information session or view the online information session and sign the Declaration of Receipt of Information.
CEP Timelines for 2019-2020
For application period Monday, December 2, 2019 through Friday, January 31, 2020:
- Following the last date for application intake, all advisors (both Maricopa and university) will have until Friday, 2/14/20 to input/update CEP applications.
- Directors will meet during the week of 2/17/20 to sort, review, and place CEP students.
- The first email acceptance letters will go out during the week of 2/24/20 and emails will continue to be sent until all seats are filled. This can take a few weeks!
- An email to those not placed will go out no later than the week of March 16, 2020.
For the CEP intake period of Wednesday, April 1, 2020 – Friday, May 29, 2020:
- All advisors (Maricopa and university) will have until 6/12/20 to input/update CEP applications.
- Directors will meet the week of 6/15/20 to sort, review, and place CEP students.
- The first email acceptance letters will go out the week of 6/22/20 and emails will continue to be sent until all seats are filled. This can take a few weeks!
- An email to those not placed will go out no later than the week of July 16, 2020.
Please keep in mind that during the time email notifications are being sent for students to accept or decline, there may be several mailings so please be patient while all seats are being filled. Dates may fluctuate slightly due to unforeseen circumstances.
Familiarize Yourself with CEP Options
Attend an in-person CEP information session offered at various Maricopa colleges throughout the year. Check with the individual colleges for session dates.
Review the online information PowerPoint. Once the information has been thoroughly reviewed, students are required to download and sign a Declaration of Receipt of Information form indicating the online session has been reviewed. The Declaration form must be attached to the CEP application.
Arizona State University
Northern Arizona University
Franklin Pierce University
Grand Canyon University
Upper Iowa University
All students are strongly encouraged to...
- Review program brochures for CEP partners.
- Meet with a nursing advisor who can help you to develop a personalized plan of study for your preferred CEP option.
- Contact an advisor at the university partner of your choice to ask specific questions.
When to Apply
There are designated times during the year when students may apply for the CEP. Applications should be submitted at the college of first choice. Please review all required documents prior to applying for the CEP. The CEP intake periods are:
December 1 through January 31 for a summer university start (if university courses are required prior to beginning MaricopaNursing) and fall MaricopaNursing Block One start.
April 1 through May 31 for a fall university start (if university courses are required prior to beginning MaricopaNursing) and spring MaricopaNursing Block One start.