Drug Free Schools & Communities Act of 1989
The Maricopa Community College District supports the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989, Public Law 101-226, and complies with all federal, state, and local laws pertaining to controlled substances, including alcohol. The possession, sale or consumption of an alcoholic beverage in any premises owned and/or leased/rented by the District for approved educational purposes is prohibited.
College response to alcohol and drug violations
Besides the sanctions imposed by federal and state courts concerning controlled substance violation(s), the college will respond administratively when the offense involves a student or employee as the offender. Students and employees are subject to applicable District policies and disciplinary procedures. Sanctions may include suspension or expulsion for student offenders or termination of employment for employees.
Alcohol and drug use prevention
MCCCD sponsors and/or participates in the following drug prevention activities:
- Counseling services provide individual sessions on the topic of Substance Abuse. When necessary, counselors will provide referral services to community based agencies.
- Drug and alcohol awareness workshops are offered through MCCCD Fitness Center Wellness Workshops
Campus community members who may have an alcohol or drug problem can also receive assistance by calling:
- Al-Anon at 1-800-356-9996
- American Council on Alcoholism at 1-800-527-5344
- National Institute on Drug Abuse Hotline at 1-800-662-4357
- DRUGHELP at 1-800-378-4435
Off-campus student organizations
Campus police do not monitor the activities of off-campus student organizations.