Welcome to Maricopa Community Colleges

As one of the most comprehensive community college systems in the country, we have designed each of our colleges to cater to a variety of interests from single courses, degrees, and community engagement opportunities. Our multiple colleges allow us to understand the needs of the areas we serve, and adjust our offerings accordingly. We believe that by offering opportunities to better our community, we are also gaining a better understanding of how to improve other communities. Whether you're from Arizona, or the other side of the globe, we are interested in learning with you and from you.

Depending on your residency type, you may have to adhere to a certain set of laws, regulations, and forms to become a student. These must be completed first, as part of your enrollment process. Residency documentation must be provided to each college of attendance, generally in the Admissions and Records or Student Enrollment Services departments. We’ve listed different residency types that may resonate with your current living situation, and additional steps to complete once you’ve confirmed your classification. Tuition costs may vary depending on residency type.

What type of resident are you?

Photo of two students smiling

Maricopa County resident

If you’re a U.S. citizen, or in lawful status, lived in Maricopa County for 50 days, and lived in Arizona for at least one year before classes start, you won’t need to establish residency before enrollment.

Photo of students working on laptops in class

Out-of-county resident

This residency type includes U.S. citizens, or persons within lawful status, who have lived in Arizona, outside of Maricopa County, for at least a year, or have lived in Maricopa County for less than 50 days prior to the start date of classes. Also, if you’re a resident in either Apache and Greenlee County, these counties have agreed to pay for your tuition at one of the state’s community colleges. Out-of-county residents must complete and submit the Arizona Out-of-County Residence Affidavit form to your chosen college’s admissions office. You will find website and contact information for each admissions office at the bottom of this page.

Photo of students looking at monitors in a media-enabled classroom

Out-of-state resident and foreign national

If you haven’t lived in Arizona for at least one year prior to the start of classes, are an F-1 nonimmigrant, or international student, you are considered an out-of-state resident. Please contact your chosen college’s admission office for necessary forms. You will find website and contact information for each admissions office at the bottom of this page. Please note that forms must submitted by July 1 if you plan to enroll for fall semester classes and November 1 for spring semester classes.

Financial aid requirements

If you plan to apply for financial aid as part of the enrollment process, and you are a student who is an established resident or has lawful presence in the U.S., you may qualify for our scholarships or federal financial aid. Additionally, private scholarship funds held in and distributed by the Maricopa Community Colleges Foundation may be available for eligible students.

Acceptable documents to establish lawful presence:

An Arizona driver's license issued after 1996 or an Arizona non-operating identification license or an Arizona Instruction Permit.

A birth certificate or delayed birth certificate issued in any state, territory, or possession of the United States.

A United States certificate of birth abroad.

A United States passport.

A foreign passport with a United States visa.

An I-94 form with photograph.

A United States citizenship and immigration services employment authorization document or refugee travel document.

A United States Permanent Resident Card.

A United States certificate of naturalization.

A United States certificate of citizenship.

A tribal certificate of Indian blood.

Statement regarding DACA

Immediately following the passage of Proposition 300 in 2006, Maricopa Community Colleges established the policy of accepting the I-766 employment authorization as evidence of lawful presence under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act. This is the Federal law which Proposition 300 was intended to enact at the state level. As required by another state law (HB 2008) passed in 2009, we also accept the I-766 as evidence of lawful presence for "state and local benefits," a term defined by that statute to include resident tuition. The law has not changed since these statutes and policies were put in place, and we have no plans to change our policies.

If any student applying for resident tuition presents us with an I-766, we will accept it as currently required.

It is important to remember that evidence of lawful presence alone is not sufficient to prove residence in Arizona. It merely shows that the student is not subject to the legal restrictions imposed on those who are not lawfully present in the United States. To qualify for the in-state tuition rate, all students must go on to show proof of residency by providing various types of documentation, as shown on the maricopa.edu website.

Of course, we will follow any significant changes in the law and change our policies if required.

Connect with your Admissions and Records Office

Community College

2626 E. Pecos Rd.
Chandler, AZ 85225


Visit website

Estrella Mountain
Community College

3000 N. Dysart Rd.
Avondale, AZ 85323


Visit website

Community College

108 N. 40th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85034


Visit website

Community College

6000 W. Olive Ave.
Glendale, AZ 85302


Visit website

Community College

1833 W. Southern Ave.
Mesa, AZ 85202


Visit website

Paradise Valley
Community College

18401 N. 32nd St.
Phoenix, AZ 85032


Visit website

Phoenix College

1202 W. Thomas Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85013


Visit website

Rio Salado College

2323 W. 14th St.
Tempe, AZ 85281


Visit website

Community College

9000 E. Chaparral Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85256


Visit website

South Mountain
Community College

7050 S. 24th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85042


Visit website

Become a student today