Research is essential to understanding
Role of the Institutional Review Board (IRB)
The role of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) of Maricopa County Community Colleges District is to review all proposed research involving human subjects to ensure that subjects are treated ethically and that their rights and welfare are adequately protected. All research activities involving the use of human subjects must be reviewed and approved by the IRB before data collection can begin. Investigators may not solicit subject participation or begin data collection until they have received written approval from the IRB.
The IRB is composed primarily of faculty members from disciplines in which research involving human subjects is integral to that discipline's work, administrators who have responsibility for research, institutional researchers, and additionally, board members from the community.
To obtain IRB approval
Step 1: Complete required HSR training
Everyone, in other words, students, employees, and external investigators, must complete human subjects research (HSR) training. If you are uncertain about whether you need to complete this training, find more information in the FAQs or contact IRB.
Enroll in and complete the CITI Program training where you will learn more about the guidelines for Human Subjects Research.
Once you complete the requirement, you apply for IRB review of your proposed research.
Step 2: Obtain institutional approval
Obtain institutional approval from the Vice President of Academic Affairs of the college(s) you intend to use as site of the study. In your request to the Vice President of Academic Affairs, please address the following questions:
- What is the purpose of the research?
- What methodology will the researcher employ?
- Who are the intended participants of the study?
- What is the research design of the study?
- What data will be collected as part of the study? Be specific.
- How will the college or MCCCD benefit from the research?
- How will the results of the study be used or published?
- What is the researcher's relationship to the college or MCCCD?
- What resources (e.g., personnel, departments, technologies) of the college or MCCCD will be used for this study?
Note: If the study involves more than five colleges in the district, you will need to obtain districtwide approval from the Provost.
Step 3: Obtain eProtocol login info
Contact the IRB Coordinator to request a login ID to access the e-Protocol application form.
Step 4: Submit the IRB application
Complete and submit the application form at this link: http://mcccd.keyusa.net.